Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Pizza pizza!


Naked City Pizza's new fry menu has me on a quest to self-destruct my diet plan.

As someone who grew up not understanding why all my white friends in my class were appalled at the fact that my family not only ate fish for breakfast, but ate them with their heads still on, American cuisine--new and old--has only recently become a part of my everyday diet. Pizza, being the American classic it has evolved into, was never something I went bat shit, fanboy nuts about. Honestly, I never saw the appeal. Bread, red sauce, and cheese? Big whoop. Even after working at a pizzeria one summer my appreciation did not grow, but in fact became more jaded by the slightly-misogynistic family I worked for.

Anyway, my real appreciation for pizza did not come about until I tried Naked City Pizza. Owner Chris Palmeri's menu alone was enough to do a double-take. A Guinea's Pie with white sauce, meatballs, spinach, AND ricotta? Be still, my heart! Not only does this place make pizzas magical for me, but they have sandwiches (hot and cold) with a garlic mayo from the now defunct Naked City Sandwich Shop, the best calamari I've had since my last visit to San Francisco, and some of the best wings in town. Located inside Moondoggies Bar, this little pizza kitchen somehow manages to embody at least five of my personal vices, making it the single most difficult challenge to my health this year. Well, maybe them and Fukuburger... But that's a whole 'nother post!

The Guinea's Pie (which I usually modify to add red sauce, garlic, and basil)

More poorly-lit iPhone pictures to make you salivate after the jump...


Garlic Buns


Chix Finger Pizza (hot--yes, actually spicy for spicy lovers) w/Ricotta


Poutine!



 
Charred BBQ Wings w/Bleu Cheese Dressing


No comments:

Post a Comment