Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Ono! Fo' real?!?!


So Vegas will be getting some 70-degree weather this weekend, which makes me think that it'll be a nice time to stop by my new favorite shave ice place, Snow Ono Shave Ice!!

Marianne, the owner and operator of this mobile Hawaiian shave ice bus (yes, bus, not truck) is not only very passionate about what she serves, but about food in general. Her twitter is full of posts about food from other food trucks, farmers markets, and especially about anything Hawaiian. As someone who is originally from the islands, and who retains some of the basic cultural values, I'd say that when I made my first visit to Marianne, it was like talking to one of my cousins in Hawaii.

Marianne with my "upside-down pineapple cake" shave ice.

No joke, da kine? Yeah, my pidgin may be rusty, but my appreciation for Polynesian culture and food is not. Visiting SnowOno only made me yearn for those burning hot days of summer here in Vegas, even though I know in the summer I'll be wishing for the bitterly cold days of the winter. The menu for SnowOno is extensive, to say the least, and may be a bit overwhelming for those with decision-making issues, or for those who are not familiar with Hawaiian shave ice. My advice? Just ask her what her favorite combinations are and build off of her ideas. 

This isn't your normal slushy/crushed ice and super-sweet syrupy dessert. Hawaiian shave ice is different for it's soft water and shaving techniques, which only complement the syrup flavor combinations. But what makes SnowOno soooo dang ono (ono=good, yummy) are the additions she offers to the flavor combinations. Azuki beans? Wedding cake ice cream? CONDENSED MILK?! It's like everything I love in halo-halo and more, but minus the weird stuff my mom likes to put in and no sticky mess in my kitchen.

Melty, upside-down pineapple cakey goodness. With azuki beans.

Snow Ono makes a weekly appearance at the Fresh 52 Farmer's Market down in Silverado Ranch on Sundays, so once warmer weather comes around I, too, will probably be making regular stops Sunday mornings for my shave ice fix. For now, I'll be content with staring at my photos and drooling.

Warning: Do NOT attempt to drive with shave ice in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment